top of page
Tianjin Zhengguizhung Composting Facility


Location: Tianjin, China / Capacity: 275 WTPD  /  Project Completed: 2013

Tianjin is a major port city in northern coastal China and one of China’s most populated cities.  The City of Tianjin selected MTI, a company BacTee works with closely, to design and construct a new composting facility.

The Tianjin Zhengguizhung Composting facility is the first to combine the BDP Industries agitated bay technologies with the BacTee Systems negative aeration system.  Negative aeration provides for the highest level of odor containment and control while reducing fog potential inside the facility.

Tianjin Composting Facility Site
BacTee Aeration Diagram

The facility uses an extensive network of conveyers for bay loading and material discharge in a fully automated facility from material receipt through composting.​  A key design feature is the use of 20 long bays which use two 100HP BDP agitators to compost 250 WTPD of Tianjin's municipal biosolid waste with 25 WTPD of rice hulls and other agricultural by-products.

The material undergoes 21 days of actual composting in the bays.  Approximately 75% of the discharged material is recycled to the front of the compost bays for use as bulking agent.  The remaining 25% material, which is more like a fertilizer product than compost, is land applied as fertilizer replacement.

bottom of page